Sport and PE at Nottingham Academy Primary
Physical Education at NAP
At Nottingham Academy, we believe that a great curriculum should provide a wide range of opportunities to help our children acquire knowledge, understanding and skills in all aspects of their education and we believe Physical Education (P.E) is an integral part of this.
At Nottingham Academy Primary we believe it is essential that we do everything we can to provide opportunities for our children to be active and it has now become embedded and part of our culture. Moving and exercising is one of the key fundamentals of our school day and we provide all children with 30 minutes of exercise a day.
In line with government recommendation, children must have two hours of indoor and outdoor P.E timetabled per week. Each week, children receive 1 hour of P.E from a P.E specialist and 1 hour of P.E from their class teacher.
Our aim in teaching Physical Education at Nottingham Academy is to:
- Provide all children with a wide range of physical activities and make them aware of new possibilities and opportunities all of the time irrespective of their social background, culture, race, gender, differences in ability and disabilities.
- Increase participation by finding something that meets our children’s needs and also provide those children who are talented with opportunities to develop further.
- Ensure all children understand the health benefits, including mental health and emotional well-being, of physical activities and for them to lead a healthy and active life.
- Develop all children’s knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes necessary for their self-fulfilment and development.
- Develop positive attitudes to physical endeavour including perseverance, fair play and sporting behaviour, and the ability to cope with success and failure.
- Develop all children’s fitness levels and ensure they are physically active for a sustained period of time.
- Understand the need for safe practice in physical activities and know how to achieve this.
Partnerships with local sporting organisations
We want to continue to widen the range of sporting opportunities that are available to all of our children and continue to develop partnerships with local sporting organisations around the area. Our current partnerships include:
Our provision for Physical Education is also supplemented by the offer of extra-curricular activities such as after-school sporting clubs, internal and external school competitions, residentials and visits from external coaches, instructors and providers.
We offer a range of clubs throughout the year both during the school day and after school. The club options change each term so to keep up-to-date with what is currently on offer, please follow the below link:
Our pupils get to participate in a number of internal and external competitions throughout the academic year. We have a number of school teams who represent Nottingham Academy in tournaments and competitions. To keep up-to-date with all of our sporting events, please follow the below link:
P.E Curriculum Overview
For the overview of our PE curriculum, please click the below link to view our curriculum map:
P.E National Curriculum
We also follow the National PE Curriculum for all Key Stages:
Our Year 3 and 4 classes have been going swimming at Harvey Hadden during the Spring and Summer terms. Our Year 6 classes will be starting swimming lessons in the second half of the Summer term.